- Name of the insured
- Contract number
- Total amount of the life insurance benefit
Life insurance compensation
Life insurance compensation
The most convenient way to file a claim for life insurance compensation is by using this form. As our customer, you can attach it to a message and send it to us via our Web Service.
How to file a claim for life insurance
Fill in the claim form
Fill in the form to claim for compensation in the event of death either on paper or electronically. Please note that even if you fill in the form electronically, you must still print it out and sign it.
Scan or take a photo of the claim form and save it to your computer if you plan to send it to us through our Web Service. You must be our customer in order to use the Web Service. Alternatively, you can send the application to us by post.
- Official certificate showing the family relationships of the insured person from the age of 15 on (same as for estate inventory)
- Beneficiaries’ population register extracts if information on whether a beneficiary is alive is not indicated in the deceased’s population register extracts or if the beneficiary is not next of kin. Population register extracts must not be more than three months old.
- A copy of an identity document (valid passport, ID card or driving licence) for each beneficiary and guardian of a beneficiary who is a minor
- If the beneficiary is a company, a copy of the trade register extract (must not be more than three months old)
- In the case of life insurance taken out against an accident, a final death certificate and forensic autopsy report are also required.
- If divorce proceedings between the deceased and his/her spouse were initiated prior to the insured’s death (reconsideration period in progress) and the spouse is a beneficiary, the matter must be mentioned in the claim form.
Send them to us via the Web Service or by post
Log in to our Web Service and send us the insurance claim form along with any attachments in a message.
If you are sending the claim form by post, send the stamped envelope to the address:
Mandatum Life Insurance Company Limited/Kaleva
Asiakasposti / 2011
Open the form ‘Claim for a sum payable at death’ below.Claim for a sum payable at death
Payment of life insurance compensation
The insurance benefit is paid to the bank accounts provided by each beneficiary in accordance with the beneficiary clause. Compensation paid to a legally incompetent person shall be paid to the bank account provided by said person’s guardian. Compensation paid to a minor shall be paid to the bank account provided by said person’s guardian. Information about the compensation paid shall be sent to the Local Register Office.
Beneficiaries can also direct their entire insurance benefit or part of it to investment insurance. More information about investment insurance is available by calling our customer service at tel. 0200 31100 (lnc/mnc).
Statement for estate inventory deed
A separate balance statement is not required, since all the information that should be reported in the additional information of the estate inventory deed is contained in the claims decision.
Taxation of life insurance compensation
Life insurance compensation paid to next of kin on the basis of a death is subject to inheritance tax. The highest tax rate applied is 19%.
Except for next of kin, the taxation of life insurance benefits remains unchanged, and thus the compensation is entirely taxable capital gains.
Recording of a life insurance benefit in the estate inventory deed
Life insurance benefits must be recorded in the estate inventory deed, in the additional information section. Life insurance benefits should not be recorded as the deceased’s assets if the insurance contains a valid beneficiary clause. The life insurance benefit is recorded as the deceased’s assets only if the beneficiary is the deceased’s estate.