Sampo Group's profit before taxes for 2013 rose to EUR 1,668 million compared to EUR 1,622 million in 2012. Total comprehensive income for the period, taking changes in the market value of assets into account, amounted to EUR 1,425 million (1,887).
- If P&C reached its best ever combined ratio of 88.1 per cent for the full year 2013. In addition, the cost ratio and profit before taxes of EUR 929 million were the best ever in the company's history, says Kari Stadigh, Group CEO and President.
- Sampo Group's results being strong, the Board proposes an increased dividend of EUR 1.65.
Sampo's dividend for year 2012 amounted to EUR 1.35 per share. The Board proposes to the Annual General Meeting also an authorization to repurchase a maximum of 50 million Sampo A shares.
Other key figures
- Earnings per share amounted to EUR 2.59 (2.51). Mark-to-market earnings per share were EUR 2.54 (3.37).
- Return on equity for the Group decreased to 13.8 per cent for 2013 (19.9).
- Net asset value per share on 31 December 2013 increased to EUR 22.15 (17.38) supported by the increase in Nordea's share price.
- Profit before taxes in the P&C insurance segment amounted to EUR 929 million (864). Sampo's share of the associate company Nordea's net profit in 2013 amounted to EUR 635 million (653). Profit before taxes in life insurance rose to EUR 153 million (136).
Outlook for 2014
Sampo Group's business areas are expected to report good operating results for 2014. However, the mark-to-market results are, particularly in life insurance, highly dependent on capital market developments. The continuing low interest rate level also creates a challenging environment for reinvestment in fixed income instruments.
The P&C insurance operations are expected to reach their long-term combined ratio target of below 95 per cent in 2014 by a margin. Nordea's contribution to the Group's profit is expected to be significant.
Please find Sampo Group's Financial Statements Release for 2013 as well as Supplementary Financial Information Package at www.sampo.com/result.
For more information, please contact:
Maria Silander, Press Officer, tel. +358 10 516 0031
Sampo will today arrange a Finnish-language press conference at the meeting room Akseli Gallen-Kallela, Hotel Kämp (Pohjoisesplanadi 29, 2nd floor, Helsinki), at 12.30 pm Finnish time.
An English-language conference call for investors and analysts will be arranged at 4 pm Finnish time (2 pm UK time). Please call +44 20 3364 5372, +1 877 788 9023, +46 (0)8 5199 9354, or +358 (0)9 8171 0461. The conference call title is 'Sampo Group's Results 2013'. The conference call can also be followed live at www.sampo.com/result.